It’s time to take in the lay of the land as far as new releases go. As usual the lists I look at are not comprehensive or exhaustive. Here’s the full game schedule from releases.com:
Seems like there’s quite a bit coming out for a slow winter month in the middle of Q1. I note a lot of HD upgrades and some remakes on there. Here are a few names that catch my eye:
- Final Fantasy XII Zodiac Age (PC) on February 1
- Mercenary Kings Reloaded Edition (Switch/PS4) on February 2
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS4) on February 6
- Secret of Mana (PS4) on February 15
- Bayonetta/Bayonetta 2 (Switch) on February 16
- Metal Gear Survive (PS4/PC) on February 20
- Moss (PS4)
So a few Square-Enix heavies from a decade or two ago get a face lift, Platinum Games’ opus port onto the Switch, and of course, the Kojima-less multiplayer side quest in Metal Gear Solid. I’m intrigued by Moss, which I’m keeping on eye for its actual date. But with my back catalog going back, oh, you know, 17 years at this point, I don’t know if it’s going to make the cut for me. Unless its reviews are stellar, and the long plays look great.
And if you somehow did not play Shadow of the Colossus in the last 12 years, now’s your chance to see it again in the HD era.