I promised to review Samus Returns by today but I’m only half done with it. Instead, I’ll give some impressions:
- The graphics are good. Surprisingly done well, especially when using 3D mode. I was surprised at how SR-388 teems with life. It really feels like an immense planet interior.
- The controls are alright. It takes some getting used to, as I haven’t played handheld platformers in a long time. Samus handles well enough, but sometimes you need more hand/thumb dexterity to complete harder moves.
- The Metroid battles are pretty cool, especially when they start running from you midway.
- Production values and presentation overall is good.
- Despite being an entry in a series infamous for backtracking, this activity hasn’t been too obnoxious. Yet.
- The “car chase” sequence with the Chozo mech was unexpected and tougher than I thought it could be (see point 2).
I have about 7 hours into the game at this point, with 16 metroids left, according to my counter. I’m guessing I’ll need another week or so to finish it all. When I’ve done that I’ll post an updated review. Thanks for reading!